The Suleiman Lookout Tower provides a spectacular panorama to Kőszeg and its hills. It can be reached by a nice 10-15-minute walk from the city center.
According to the urban legend Suleiman I. was watching the final battle during the siege of Kőszeg trusting his victory from this hill (called Sultan Peak today). This is a very popular scene to watch the sunset.
Kőszeg was founded around the already existing castle on the Old-house peak.
Óház peak with its elevation of 609 m, has been a popular excursion destination, particularly after the Old-house lookout tower was rebuilt. The excursion promises a delightful experience, since the view from the tower is magnificent.
Írottkő Lookout Tower
Above Kőszeg there is the highest peak of Transdanubia called Írottkő.
On its top at an elevation of 883 m, the Írottkő lookout tower was built in 1913 to replace the former Árpád tower torn down in 1909. This area was restricted for a long time; it has been open for visitors only since 1990.
On the top of the Kálvária Hill in 1686, the Jesuits erected the first cross, made of wood, later a chapel was built here in 1715.
On the proposal of the Jesuits the city started to build the church in 1729 from the money survivors donated after the sever plague epidemic in 1712.
First it was referred to as Csarmas’ Well since it was the source of Csarmas Brook. It received its current name on the 18th century.
It is famous for being the topmost spring in Hungary (713 m) and also for its namesake, Mihály Hörmann. Hörmann is claimed to have been a ‘castellan’ in Kőszeg Castle who allowed Gábor Bathlen’s army into the castle, at the order of his Mistress, and the castle was therefore attacked by the Habsburgs. Hörmann fled to the woods but he was captured at the spring and was killed on the spot.
Írottkő Lookout Tower
It has been called Sevenspring since the 18th century, however officially it was named after the seven Hungarian leaders only in 1896, in Hungary’s Millenium year.
The seven pipes are signed by their names – Álmos, Előd, Ond, Kond, Tas Huba, Töhötöm, respectively. The water flows into a pool and then it continues its way in the Gyöngyös stream. This spring provided the Old Castle with water, that’s why it was called Óvárkút (Old Castle Well) for a long time.
The village of Cák is situated 5 km from Kőszeg. The place is famous for its wine cellars. The village made a living from wine growing, but the Grape phylloxera, which destroyed the grape plantations of the whole continent, killed all the vine-stocks here. The memories of winery are hold by the cellars on the border of the village.
Few know, that these cellars and press houses were used not only for wine production, but also for storing fruit and chestnut. Nine of the cellars are preserved in their original forms, which are protected by the law. All of them can be visited in the opening hours of Open-Air Folklore Museum. Most of the cellars were built at the beginning of the 19th century from oak and chestnut logs, which were covered by cay. In the houses there are richly painted grape-presses, and fruit storing selves.
Chapel of St.Vid
Some of the buildings were rebuilt in 1979 and they were operated as an open-air pre-historic museum, however they were not kept in good repair and finally, they got damaged
A stone relief, some coins, fibulas and also pottery ware from the Roman Age were found on the site. Moreover, an Avar cemetery from the time of the great migrations was found on the mountainside. It was operated as a fortress during Árpád-era as well, but according to some experts its castle has Carolingian origins. It was first mentioned as St. Vid in the 13th century.
Holdfény Liget Adventure Park
The Adventure Park is in Gyöngyösfalu. The most important attraction in the 13 -hectare area for active guests is clearly the high ropes course with its total length of over 2 kilometers.
This is one of the largest ropes course in Hungary, has 120 members at a height of 2-12 m. Even the smallest thought of: from three years ( with adult help ) are Parcourse available. Sports enthusiasts are still offered: rafting on the river Gyöngyös, giant ball on the lake, archery, quad biking, barefoot trail, Nordic walking course, soccer field, playground and narrow-gauge track with diesel locomotive in the forest.